The U.S. Army Strings
Apply before: April 2, 2024
Audition date(s): April 15, 2024
The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own,” the U.S. Army’s premier musical organization, announces a vacancy for String Bass with The U.S. Army Strings.
The U.S. Army Strings, a premier ensemble of the U.S. Armed Forces, provide a musical backdrop for many of the country’s most notable events. Their mission is to serve as musical ambassadors for high-level military and government events at home and abroad, as well as in concert for public audiences. The elite musicians that comprise this ensemble have been trained at the most prestigious music conservatories and universities in the country. This versatile ensemble performs as The U.S. Army Strolling Strings, mixed chamber ensembles, and The U.S. Army Orchestra.
The U.S. Army Strolling Strings are one of the most requested musical ensembles by our nation’s military leadership. Since its inception during the Eisenhower administration, the group has provided musical entertainment at the White House for every president. Missions include performing for the Department of Defense, the U.S. Capitol, the Supreme Court, kings, queens, and heads of state from countries worldwide. The Strolling Strings offer audiences the unique perspective of being amongst the musicians who elegantly move about the venue playing their instruments. The Strolling Strings offer a wide array of memorized repertoire, including patriotic, classical, international, jazz, Broadway, bluegrass, and exclusive music arrangements for special guests and events.
Auditions will be held at Brucker Hall, home of The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” at 400 McNair Road, Fort Myer, Virginia 22211-1306.
This audition will have an optional pre-screening taped round. Travel expenses will be paid for by the U.S. Army for invited civilian candidates who pass the pre-screening round for this audition pending enlistment qualification and funding approval. Candidates whose recordings do not pass the pre-screening round, or choose not to make one, WILL still be able to attend the live pre-screening round on April 15th. The audition will include the performance of prepared excerpts and sight-reading. Applicants that pass the pre-screening round will be invited to a semi-final and final round on April 15th.
Prescreening recordings will be due by February 12th, 2024
Applications for the live audition will be due by April 2nd, 2024
All applicants must meet basic enlistment standards for The US Army including:
- Age 17-34 at the time of the audition
- Currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Meet height/weight standards
- Meet medical, moral and physical requirements. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, recent surgeries, or criminal history, please consult with your local Army Recruiter prior to applying to confirm enlistment eligibility.
- Must be eligible for secret security clearance
The full audition packet including all excerpts will be emailed to candidates who submit an application.
To Apply, Please Submit The Following
- One Page Resume (PDF only), including your current email, home address, phone number, and birthdate.
- Current military applicants must also include their Enlisted Records Brief or equivalent, Commander's Letter of Intent to Release, and last two NCOERs if applicable.
Please email application materials to Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley.
Preferred Application File Formats
- PDF files only for all documents
- Audio files should be submitted as .mp3 or .wav only
- Each excerpt should be submitted as a separate audio file
- Upload audio files to a Google Drive or Dropbox folder and share the direct link in the body of application email
All application materials must be submitted electronically to the Auditions Coordinator, Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley
Contact the Auditions Coordinator
Applicants with questions or concerns regarding the US Army Strings STRING BASS audition may contact Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley.
The annual starting salary for Staff Sergeant equates to $73,000 without dependents and $78,000 with dependents
Full medical and dental coverage
30 days paid vacation annually
The Blended Retirement System allows you to immediately begin contributing to a retirement account, in addition to being eligible for a pension after 20 years of active duty service.
Earn full tuition for higher education through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Also, tuition assistance is available for continuing education.
Members of “Pershing’s Own” are given the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of 42S (forty two sierra), “Special Band Musician”. Personnel are promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) two months after completion of Basic Combat Training.
Permanent duty assignment to Fort Myer, VA, located near the heart of Washington, DC
Learn More About Army Benefits
- The U.S. Army Band’s audition and hiring process values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- All applicants must currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Civilian applicants must be 34 years of age or younger at the time of the audition
- All applicants must meet the standard requirements for enlistment in the United States Army