The U.S. Army Blues
Apply before: May 6, 2024
Audition date(s): July 1, 2024
The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” announces a vacancy for JAZZ GUITAR with the Army’s premier jazz ensemble, The United States Army Blues. The U.S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own” is located 5 minutes from downtown Washington, D.C.
The U.S. Army Blues, part of the United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own,” is the premier jazz ensemble of the United States Army. After informal beginnings in 1970, this 18-piece ensemble became an official element of the United States Army Band in 1972. Comprised of exceptional jazz musicians from across the nation, the Army Blues strive to fulfill their mission through public concerts, educational outreach, and the preservation of the tradition of America’s unique art form: Jazz.
The Army Blues have performed at prestigious venues such as the Monterey Jazz Festival, the Montreux Jazz Festival, Birdland, and Blues Alley in Washington, DC. The band has shared the stage with jazz greats such as Dave Brubeck, Doc Severinsen, Stanley Turrentine, Slide Hampton, Dr. Billy Taylor, Kevin Mahogany, and Terrell Stafford. The Army Blues perform at national conferences such as the Jazz Education Network annual conference, the International Trumpet Guild conference, the International Trombone Conference, and the Midwest Band Clinic. The musicians of the Army Blues perform at the White House, the Vice President’s Residence, the Department of State, and for high-level military protocol and ceremonial events in the Washington Metropolitan Area.
Main duties will include rehearsals and performances with The U.S. Army Blues (large jazz ensemble). Additional duties include playing in jazz combos, The U.S. Army Band Downrange (a 3 horn Pop/Funk/R&B popular music group), and The U.S. Army Concert Band.
Auditions will be held at Brucker Hall, home of The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” at 400 McNair Road, Fort Myer, Virginia 22211-1306.
This audition will have a pre-screening taped round. Travel expenses will be paid for by the U.S. Army for invited civilian candidates who pass the pre-screening round for this audition pending enlistment qualification and funding approval. Military personnel should refer to their respective units to request travel funding. The audition will include the performance of prepared excerpts and sight-reading. Applicants will be invited to a semi-final and final round on July 1st, 2024.
Applications for the pre-screened round will be due May 6th, 2024
All applicants must meet basic enlistment standards for The US Army including:
- Age 17-34 at the time of the audition
- Currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Meet height/weight standards
- Meet medical, moral, and physical requirements. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, recent surgeries, or criminal history, please consult with your local Army Recruiter prior to applying to confirm enlistment eligibility.
To Apply, Please Submit the Following
- One Page Resume (PDF only), including your current email, home address, phone number, and birthdate.
- Current enlisted military applicants must also include their Enlisted Records Brief, or equivalent, Commander's Letter of Intent to Release, and last two NCOERs if applicable.
To download audition materials for this submission contact Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley
Preferred Application Formats
- PDF files only for all documents
- Audio files should be submitted as .mp3 or .wav only
- Each excerpt should be submitted as a separate audio file
- These selections can be recorded with a live band, backing track, metronome, or solo
- Upload audio files to a Google Drive or Dropbox folder and share the direct link in the body of application email
All application materials must be submitted electronically to the Auditions Coordinator, Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley
Live Audition Repertoire
The full audition packet including all charts will be emailed to candidates who submit an application.
Contact an Auditions Coordinator
Submit all application materials electronically and direct any questions or concerns to the Auditions Coordinator, Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley
The annual starting salary for Staff Sergeant equates to $73,000 without dependents and $78,000 with dependents
Full medical and dental coverage
30 days paid vacation annually
The Blended Retirement System allows you to immediately begin contributing to a retirement account, in addition to being eligible for a pension after 20 years of active duty service.
Earn full tuition for higher education through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Also, tuition assistance is available for continuing education.
Members of “Pershing’s Own” are given the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of 42S (forty two sierra), “Special Band Musician”. Personnel are promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) two months after completion of Basic Combat Training.
Permanent duty assignment to Fort Myer, VA, located near the heart of Washington, DC
Learn More About Army Benefits
- The U.S. Army Band’s audition and hiring process values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- All applicants must currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Civilian applicants must be 34 years of age or younger at the time of the audition
- All applicants must meet the standard requirements for enlistment in the United States Army