The U.S. Army Concert Band
Apply before: September 26, 2023
Audition date(s): October 12, 2023 - October 13, 2023
The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own,” the U.S. Army’s premier musical organization, announces a vacancy for HORN in The U.S. Army Concert Band.
Headquartered in Washington, DC, The U.S. Army Concert Band has performed in concert venues such as Lincoln Center’s Avery Fisher Hall, Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center, and Hollywood Bowl. Throughout the year the ensemble participates in ongoing educational outreach and often appears at national and international music events, including the Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic, the National Association for Music Education, the Texas Bandmasters Association, and the American Bandmasters Association.
During the summer months, the Concert Band performs outdoor concerts on the West Steps of the U.S. Capitol and at venues throughout the Washington, DC area. Regular concerts are also performed throughout the year at The United States Army Band’s home, Brucker Hall, located on historic Fort Myer, in Arlington, Virginia.
In support of international diplomacy efforts, the Concert Band has performed joint concerts with the Soviet Army, the Russian Navy, and the Ukrainian Navy bands, and has appeared in military tattoos in Scotland, Sweden, Holland, Norway, Australia, and Japan. The Concert Band’s 2011 and 2012 goodwill exchange concert tours with the Military Band of the People’s Liberation Army of China, entitled Friendship and Cooperation Through Music, is indicative of the importance these musical ambassadors play in matters of international diplomacy and strategic outreach.
• All candidates have the choice of playing a live or recorded preliminary audition.
• Candidates that do not advance from a recording may still attend the live preliminary audition on October 12th.
• For civilian candidates that advance from a recording (into the semi-finals), the U.S. Army will cover travel expenses (pending enlistment qualification and funding approval).
• The semi-final round, and any subsequent rounds, will take place on October 13th.
Deadline to Submit Recorded Preliminary Audition August 18th 2023
Deadline to Apply for Live Preliminary Audition September 28th, 2023
All applicants must meet basic enlistment standards for The US Army including:
- Age 17-34 at the time of the audition
- Currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Meet height/weight standards
- Meet medical, moral and physical requirements. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, recent surgeries, or criminal history, please consult with your local Army Recruiter prior to applying to confirm enlistment eligibility.
Live Audition Repertoire
The full audition packet including all excerpts will be emailed to candidates who submit an application.
To Apply, Please Submit the Following
- One Page Resume (PDF only), including your current email, home address, phone number, and birthdate.
- Current military applicants must also include their Enlisted Records Brief or equivalent, Commander's Letter of Intent to Release, and last two NCOERs if applicable.
Please email application materials to Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley.
Preferred Application File Formats
- PDF files only for all documents
- Audio files should be submitted as .mp3 or .wav only
- Each excerpt should be submitted as a separate audio file
- Upload audio files to a Google Drive or Dropbox folder and share the direct link in the body of application email
All application materials must be submitted electronically to the Auditions Coordinator, Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley
Contact the Auditions Coordinator
Applicants with questions or concerns regarding the CONCERT BAND HORN audition may contact Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley.
The annual starting salary for Staff Sergeant equates to $73,000 without dependents and $78,000 with dependents
Full medical and dental coverage
30 days paid vacation annually
The Blended Retirement System allows you to immediately begin contributing to a retirement account, in addition to being eligible for a pension after 20 years of active duty service.
Earn full tuition for higher education through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Also, tuition assistance is available for continuing education.
Members of “Pershing’s Own” are given the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of 42S (forty two sierra), “Special Band Musician”. Personnel are promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) two months after completion of Basic Combat Training.
Permanent duty assignment to Fort Myer, VA, located near the heart of Washington, DC
Learn More About Army Benefits
- The U.S. Army Band’s audition and hiring process values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- All applicants must currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Civilian applicants must be 34 years of age or younger at the time of the audition
- All applicants must meet the standard requirements for enlistment in the United States Army