National Solo Jazz Competition
Application Deadline: Dec 1, 2023Apply Here!
APPLICATION DEADLINE: DEC 1, 2023
The American Trombone Workshop’s National Solo Jazz Competition is one of the most successful and popular jazz trombone competitions in the nation. This competition will provide valuable experience working through the competitive audition recording process, performing live for an attentive audience, and provide means to network with other trombonists and musicians. The winner of each division will be featured in concert with the U.S. Army Blues during the American Trombone Workshop in 2024.
The National Solo Jazz Competition is scheduled to take place during ATW in 2024 at Brucker Hall. Those who are invited to the live rounds will bring three copies of the selections to be performed. Rehearsals will take place in the morning with performances in the late afternoon – schedule TBD. The winner of each division will be invited to play a tune with The U.S. Army Blues.
- 3 CONTRASTING SELECTIONS OF YOUR CHOICE
- ORIGINAL COMPOSITIONS ARE ENCOURAGED
- CREATIVE ARRANGEMENTS OF STANDARDS ARE ENCOURAGED
GENERAL RULES & REQUIREMENTS
Submissions should be recorded live with a rhythm section and emailed in a digital format. Audio or video recordings are accepted. Recordings must be RECEIVED by December 1, 2023. Please remember that your submission will be received along with many others. Therefore, it is very important that you clearly and accurately include the following details in your email with your performance submission:
- School Affiliation (if any)
- Phone Number
- Email Address
Email audio or video performance no later than December 1, 2023 to the competition coordinator SFC Luke Brimhall.
- Division 1: ages 21 and under (by the date of the competition)
- Division 2: ages 22 - 29 (by the date of the competition)
- Proof of age (photocopy of driver’s license, visa, or birth certificate) must be provided with the application.
Frequent Causes of Disqualification
- Receipt of materials past delivery deadline (see above)
- Editing of audio or video during the performance of a single selection