Apply before: March 11, 2024
Audition date(s): April 4, 2024 - April 5, 2024
The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own,” the U.S. Army’s premier musical organization, announces a vacancy for AUDIO ENGINEER with the Technical Support Group.
Located five minutes from downtown Washington, DC, The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” is the Army’s premier musical organization. “Pershing’s Own” provides musical support for the leadership of the United States, to include all branches of government, and to a wide spectrum of national and international events in support of Soldiers and their families, public diplomacy, community and international relations, recruiting initiatives, and music education programs. Our mission is to instill in our forces the will to fight and win, to foster the support of our citizens, and to promote our national interests at home and abroad.
Personnel are promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) upon assignment to “Pershing’s Own” and enjoy full military benefits including medical and dental care, 30 days paid vacation each year, permanent assignment to Fort Myer, and educational benefits such as military Tuition Assistance and the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill.
The Army Band’s Audio Engineers provide guidance and support for some of the nation's highest-profile events. Working under the Technical Support Group, you will be a part of a highly motivated team surrounded by technical experts that support many musical events in and around the Nation’s Capital, meeting rigorous deadlines in an environment of change. Support for The Army Band includes The
U.S. Army Concert Band, String Orchestra, Full Orchestra, Ceremonial Band (marching), Blues (jazz), Downrange (pop/rock), SATB Chorus, and smaller ensembles (i.e. brass and woodwind quintet, small mixed vocal ensemble).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
· Live sound engineering for performances by all musical elements within the Army Band
· Front of House engineering, monitor mixing, or general audio support
· Performing in prominent local, national, and international venues
· Live and studio recording for Army Band concerts and recording projects
· Mixing musical genres to include but not limited to classical, jazz, rock, pop, bluegrass, Latin, and contemporary styles
· Broadcast audio engineering of live concert webcasts
· Audio post-production; Sound Design, Foley, ADR, and mastering
Additional Duties Include
· Daily rehearsal support consisting of audio and staging setups
· Stage Management and System Technician tasks as required
· Basic lighting console operation
· Basic maintenance of studio and production facilities
· Loading and unloading of audio and staging equipment
· Driving 16’ - 24’ non-CDL equipment trucks and large passenger vans
· Working for extended periods of time at outdoor venues in cool early spring and during the hot and humid summer months
· Thorough understanding of modern audio engineering technologies and techniques
· Ability to work at a professional level and take direction from superiors, while operating in a positive and consultative team environment
· Capable of operating under stringent time constraints
· Demonstrated expertise using Pro Tools and/or other DAWs, analog and digital consoles, knowledge of a wide range of microphone types and techniques, outboard and plug-in processing, established and emerging delivery and playback formats, advanced computer skills in Mac and Windows environments
· Solid understanding of large and small PA systems, amplification, signal flow, electrical wiring, wireless microphone systems
· Dante Level 2 Certification required
· Competent written and verbal communication skills with strong organizational skills
· Additional experience in the following is preferred but not required: stage management, technical direction, lighting design, electrical wiring, RF coordination, live video switching, video content creation, and audio system design
To Apply, Please Submit the Following
· Cover letter
· One-page resume (PDF only), including your current email, home address, phone number, and birthdate
· List of at least 2 references with contact information
· Portfolio – Samples should include a variety of work experience and materials used or created in the field of Audio Engineering;
o List of Albums or EPs you have tracked, mixed, or mastered
o Links to livestream recordings you have worked on
o Sample I/O sheet
o Sample Soundcheck Order document or video demonstrating soundcheck workflow
· Current enlisted applicants must also include their Enlisted Records Brief (or equivalent), Commander’s Letter of Intent to Release, and last two NCOERs (if applicable)
After portfolios are reviewed, selected finalists will be given an invitation to a live audition and interview at The U.S. Army Band, Fort Myer, VA.
Interviews will be held at Brucker Hall, home of The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” at 400 McNair Road, Fort Myer, Virginia 22211-1306.
Travel expenses for civilians will be paid for by The U.S. Army pending enlistment qualification and funding approval. Military personnel should refer to their respective units to request travel funding.
All application materials must be submitted by March 11th, 2024. Please email application materials to Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley.
Contact the Auditions Coordinator
Applicants with questions or concerns regarding the AUDIO ENGINEER audition may contact Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley.
The annual starting salary for Staff Sergeant equates to $73,000 without dependents and $78,000 with dependents
Full medical and dental coverage
30 days paid vacation annually
The Blended Retirement System allows you to immediately begin contributing to a retirement account, in addition to being eligible for a pension after 20 years of active duty service.
Earn full tuition for higher education through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Also, tuition assistance is available for continuing education.
Members of “Pershing’s Own” are given the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of 42S (forty two sierra), “Special Band Musician”. Personnel are promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) two months after completion of Basic Combat Training.
Permanent duty assignment to Fort Myer, VA, located near the heart of Washington, DC
Learn More About Army Benefits
- The U.S. Army Band’s audition and hiring process values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- All applicants must currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Civilian applicants must be 34 years of age or younger at the time of the audition
- All applicants must meet the standard requirements for enlistment in the United States Army